Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Soundtrack

For those who don't know, the Weight Watcher meeting that changed my life was basically discussing music- the sound track to your weight loss. The goal was to change the negative "music" that you allow to play in your mind. The question was posed, "What song comes to mind when thinking about your weight loss?" Some wise person answered Never Gonna Break My Stride. The first one that came to mind for me was Your Cheatin' Heart.

I immediately came home and spent the day trolling iTunes for upbeat songs that would be my theme song. The result was a full soundtrack. I've now had two years of an ever-evolving workout playlist that pushes me harder while I'm on the eliptical. There was also a side-benefit that I was surprised by. By associating these songs with the "feel good" benefit of the workout, the songs alone create a desire in me to hit the gym.

A few of my favorites:

Because We Can, Fatboy Slim
All Star, Smash Mouth
I Like to Move It, Madagascar 5
Fighter, Christina Aguilera
You Should Be Dancing, Bee Gees (dance remix)
Get Ready for This, Crazy Frog
Walk This Way, Run-DMC
You Sexy Thing, Hot Chocolate (dance remix)

My cool-down song has remained the same for every workout and it has become my Theme Song - the reason why I do what I do. I've included the important lyrics below, saving the chorus for the end.

I Want to Live
Josh Gracin

Sometimes I feel like I need to shake myself, to wake myself:
I feel like I'm just sleep walking through my life.
It's like I'm swimming in an ocean of emotion,
But still, somehow, slowly going numb inside.
I don't like who I'm becoming, I know I've gotta do something
Before my life passes right by.

So I can feel the ground beneath me, really taste this air I'm breathing,
And know that I'm alive. I want to cry like the rain
To shine like the sun on a beautiful morning,
Sing to the heavens like a church bell ringing,
Fight with the devil and go down swinging.
Fly like a bird, roll like a stone,
Love like I ain't afraid to be alone.
Take everything that this world has to give.
I want to live.

I want to take every breath I can get.
I want to live.

No comments: