Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Pieces of April Contest

This is the first ever Pieces of April contest! I want something from you and I have some amazing prizes to offer in return.

To be entered in the drawing, all you have to do is leave a comment on this blog (not facebook) to answer one of the questions below. One entry per person, unless you qualify for the bonus below. There will be 3 winners, chosen at random, that I'll announce on June 18th.

First, the prizes:

1. An Ecosytem made by the cutting-edge company Libby Green. This is a set of 3 reusable totes that fit inside of each other to fold flat for storage. Great for the grocery store, but useful everywhere. I own several and my world wouldn't be the same without them!

2. A $25 emailed gift certificate to Audible.com (right now, this will buy a 3 month membership).
3. A $10 emailed BarnesandNoble.com gift certificate, for online purchases.

Second, choose a question to answer:

- If you enjoy reading, what is your favorite genre and/or author and why?

- If you don't enjoy reading, have you ever crossed a book/article/author that made the experience a little less painful?

In your comment be sure to leave an identifying name of some sort. If you want to be anonymous, be sure I have a way to announce you as a winner. Let me know your thoughts - all friends & family are welcome to participate. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

****Bonus****If you refer a friend to this contest and they mention your name (the same name you used in your comment), you get another entry!

Remember to check back on June 18th to see the winners - and instructions on claiming your prize.

9 comments:

Mickey said...

For most of my life I did not like to read, but thanks to a few of my friends, over the past couple of years authors such as Jodi Picoult have caught my interest. The true-to-life stories that she writes seem to catch and keep my interest from start to end. I have also found that I like to read memoirs and other non-fiction books.

Misti said...

Yay! A contest!

If I had to choose a favorite genre and author it would probably be Christian Fiction and the author would be Lori Wick. I've read everything she's ever written; several of them multiple times.

Outside of that I love the Twilight series, Harry Potter and I've liked pretty much everything I've read by Jodi Picoult.

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I like easy questions! Inspirational Romance is my all time favorite genre.

Thanks for joinging my followers. We have the weight loss thing in common. I lost 40 lbs via Herbal Magic over a year ago too.

Angela said...

Sadly, I'm not as big a reader as I used to be (or should I say as big of a dork ;) ). I like the thriller suspense, mainly Dean Koontz. The eloquence coupled with intense story line keep me enthralled through the hundreds of pages right up until the end. He has a way with words that is unrivaled in anything I've ever read.

Brie said...

Hi!
I have to say that the Harry Potter series is my favorite. I know they are some of the most popular books ever, so it is not really an original choice. I enjoy the world she created, the inspiring themes, and the complex characters. I also enjoy Jane Austen, because she is so witty and the characters are so interesting. Honorable mentions go to Jodi Picoult (interesting narration, and she makes me rethink complex issues) and Dean Koontz (exciting, suspenseful plots).
BTW, Angela told me about your contest...

TR Writings said...

I have many books with the bookmark midway through the book. This makes for a fun family joke too:)
The books I HAVE finished (and yes there are some) seem to draw me in by having a common thread to my life. Therefore I have decided books don't "take me away" from life but help me deal with it, whether fiction or non-fiction.
Fav authors are Den Henderson, Karen Kingsbury and a new fabulous author, April Rickard!!!!:)
I believe in you, honey!

Unknown said...

Mom,
I think this is the electronic version of you kissing me in front of my friends in junior high. I appreciate your comment, but "MO-OM - Geez!" :)
Love you too!

Lisa B (from WW) said...

I used to be a voracious reader of Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark and similar authors of the mystery genre. As I've matured, so has my taste in reading material. Now I like things that make me laugh, make me cry, make me feel what the author is feeling. I loved A Million Tiny Pieces by James Frey - even after I found out it wasn't completely true, I still loved the way he wrote and the way I became so attached to his characters. I wanted more! That's what I love about books - those that sadden me a bit to finish them...when I want more.

Julie said...

I like to have a couple of different books going at the same time. Sometimes this means my progress is quite slow. I think it's important to continue to learn and challenge your mind so I like to have some type of education or informative book. I also like having a fun relaxing book going for "mindless" reading. Lately, I've been reading Jane Austin books. It is relaxing to think of the simplicity of life back then and find the complex rules of society interesting. However, I'm VERY glad I don't live back them! : )

Because of what I do my favorite author is Robin Cook. I love those medical thrillers! I've read all his books. They are interesting, involve mystery (which I love) and incorporate real-life current issue involving health care and or the problems with health care.