Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Check Boxes

I like lists and especially ones with checkboxes. Yes, I do. I imagine that someone could torture me, not by pulling out my fingernails, but sending me on my way with a list in which I could not check off any boxes.

I also like to track things. For example, I have an Excel spreadsheet that has every Christmas present I have purchased for everyone since 1999. Every year has its own tab and I compare things like my total dollars spent, average cost per person and major swings in the numbers.

I’m not bragging at all. One could argue on the side of insanity based on this. But I do have a point…. knowing this about myself, I decided to use it to my weight loss advantage.

First, on WeightWatchers.com, they have check boxes for when you accomplish a “good health guideline”. Every time I drink a glass of water or eat a vegetable, I get to click a blank box and it turns blue. THEN, when I check enough boxes for the day, they give me a smiley face! Oh, they soooooo have my number.

Second, I recently decided to give myself another checklist. On my wall is a large downward arrow (signifying my weight going down). In the arrow is a section for each day, with its own set of checkboxes. Tying into my long-term goals, I created some daily goals that will help me make strides towards the big goals.

Some of my daily goals are writing down everything that I put in my mouth, working out (different types depending on the day) and also just writing in general. At the top, I wrote, “Only check off these boxes on days you want to feel good.”

Sometimes I make a list of things I’ve already done, just so I can check the box. I’m not sure why these things excite and satisfy me, but they do. The thing is, I'm me for my whole life. Why not study myself and use my strengths/weaknesses to become the best me that I can?


_X__ Write a blog
_X__ Edit the blog
_X__ Post the blog
_X__ Wonder if the blog was too revealing about myself
_X__ Reread the blog
_X__ Decide maybe someone could benefit, or at least smile today
_X__ Sigh
___ Go to bed

Update/Amendment/Clarification: I feel I needed to add just a touch more to my blog. I may have misrepresented myself as a neat, organized person. Those who have either lived or worked with me (I can hear you laughing!) knows this to be completely untrue. I am more of an organized clutter. My desk at work has papers strewn about, on top of each other, in no particular order. But when I need to find one piece of paper, I can usually grab it right away. I make checklists for picking up my house on the weekend, but usually lose the checklist – and then lose myself in a book….

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ha! I sometimes write things down that I've already accomplished so I can check them off. My secret thrill isn't check boxes...it's straight lines through the item with a colored sharpie. There is something so satisfying to turn the sheet over and see all of the bleeding lines. Weird.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the confession, Rebecca! It make me seem not so weird. :)

Julie said...

Isn't it funny how rewarding checking those little boxes can be! I'm a strong believe in making lists to keep productive and stay on-task. Carla has shown me some photos of you and you look GREAT!!!

Cheryl said...

I print off my Outlook calendar at work with all the to-do things and use my yellow high-lighter to mark them off. I also actually enjoy the WW journaling. Weird, I know. I am in your WW group. You are inspiring.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cheryl and Julie! It's good to know that there are other "list-ers" out there. Where would the world be without us? List-less?

See you Saturday, Cheryl!