Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2009

Insane in the Membrane

I’m one of those people you might wonder about at the gym. I’m the one on the elliptical machine acting crazy. You’ve seen me?! Thankfully, I never have. I’m sure I would be embarrassed.

I lip sync to my workout playlist, close my eyes and pump my arms like a maniac. I have to not care what people around me think, because I want it to be fun. I lose myself in the music and just let what happens happen.

I play only the most positive, upbeat songs I can find. My favorite right now is a dance version of “Hips Don’t Lie” by Shakira. (I find this song quite ironic, given the reason I’m listening to it) Another one of my new favorites is “Honky Tonk Badankadonk” by Trace Adkins. (Getting an idea of my problem area?)

My son loves coming to the gym with me because he can hang out with other kids and play video games, which is not allowed at our house on school days.

Recently, he was the only child there and the teacher needed to get something that was across the facility. She took him with her as a helper. They happened to walk right passed my machine and I happened to briefly open my eyes. My son was waving wildly at me and smiling.

Later, when we were on our way home, he asked me why I was dancing because he thought I was supposed to be working out. And, there it is. That’s why I act insane on the elliptical. I AM having fun – so much that, apparently, a five year old thinks I’m dancing.

So, next time you see a crazy at the gym, know that we're having a blast (and maybe rocking out to "You Sexy Thing")!

2 comments:

Lisa B (from WW) said...

I'm with ya April...I often find myself on the elliptical groovin to my tunes, eyes closed, lips moving...and not caring one lick who sees me.

Unknown said...

Lisa,

I LOVE that I'm not alone! We'd be quite entertaining if we worked out together! :)