Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dedication


In February, a 14-year-old broke the Guinness World Record for Guitar Hero and was also named the new world champion of the game. His name is Danny Johnson and you can find several videos of him playing his guitar on YouTube. Danny said that he played three hours a day (after homework and music practice) for nine months.

I’ve been thinking about Danny a lot the past few months. Not necessarily as related to Guitar Hero, but as it relates to his dedication. Three hours a day put him in the Guinness World Record category. What could I accomplish if I devoted three hours a day to one thing? I don’t have an extra three hours a day - let’s go smaller.

What could I accomplish if I devoted one hour a day to one thing? Still seems like a lot of time – let’s go even smaller.

What could I accomplish is I devoted just 30 minutes a day to one thing? I could probably find that.

30 minutes a day adds up to 182 hours a year! What could you accomplish with a 182 hour dedication to one thing?! I could get a good start on a ton of different things!

  • extend my education.
  • learn to belly dance
  • learn to play the guitar.
  • re-learn how to ride a bike.
  • learn to speak Italian.
  • write a novel.
  • become a certified electrician.
  • write a novel.
  • have a weedless yard.
  • memorize the dictionary.
  • write a novel!!

What about 30 minutes for my health? According to the Mayo Clinic, 30 minutes of aerobic exercise a day helps in weight loss, gives you more stamina, prevents illnesses, reduces health risks, strengthens your heart, helps clear your arteries, boosts your mood, keeps your mind sharp and extends your life.

There is so much we can accomplish if we focus our energy. I’ve decided that we don’t need to wait until the new year to make goals and resolutions. Goals that are born out of desire, rather than the time of the year, mean more to me.

So, what do you want from your 182 hours this year? What certificate will you earn? How much weight will you lose? How many countries will you visit? What goals do you have that could use a little extra daily attention? Write it down, plan it out and savor every minute of the journey!

Me? I’m writing that novel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was younger and had a young child (lets even include her teenage years) I didn't allot any time for myself. I worked full time and "mommied" the rest. Now my daughter is grown and I give 1 hour a day to exercise for myself and 1 hour a day for my clarinet playing. I will never be a virtuoso, but have gotten good enough to play for seniors and when I can finally afford to retire in 5 years, I plan to take my show on the road as a volunteer musician for seniors. That is what one hour a day can do. Cheryl from Saturday WW