Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Time to Make the Donuts

The past few weeks have been rough donut weeks for me. I have been eating my vegetables, drinking my water, taking my vitamins, but in all honesty, I have had no ability to avoid Top Pot.

So, I decided to really get to the root of this issue. I know I was stressing about my son starting Kindergarten, with all the changes that would take place in my family. But why would I equate stress with donuts? It took reaching way back in my memory, but I found it.

I grew up in a military home. Although we didn’t move as often as other families, it still meant we didn’t live close to grandparents. So, we were a road-trip family. We road-tripped to see Grandma and Grandpa. We road-tripped every move we made. And, this is how the road trip would play out:

My parents would gather the three of us still-sleeping children at about 3 or 4 in the morning. They would buckle us in to the van or truck and head out in the darkness. When we woke up several hours later, my mom would hand us a powdered donut wrapped in a napkin.

What those times meant for me was that, even though we were moving and my whole life was about to change, my family was constant. Our houses might change, the weather would change, my friends and school would be different, but my family was always together. And for me, donuts are the reminder of the constant.

So please tell me how you do it. How do you go into a big life change gracefully? What constants do you hang on to that bring you comfort?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

*sigh* it's always food and cleaning. The cleaning part is good, the food part, not so much.

On a side note, That Thing You Do was on tv today. I still remember all of the words....and it made me miss my roomie!

Unknown said...

I remember the cleaning, Rebecca! :) I wish I had the cleaning issue too, but, as I'm sure you remember, I don't...

That is so funny - I associate That Thing You Do with you too. :) and, sunflowers and aol and blue checkered pattern and BIG curling iron and mime makeup and crying and laughing...miss you too!!